RECLAIMED WATER PIPING
Return to BCD APPLICATIONS
Reclaimed or recycled water, also referred to as wastewater reuse or water reclamation, is the
process of diverting wastewater into a system where it can be used for non-potable applications.
Reclaimed water systems typically reuse greywater, commonly defined as wastewater from bathtubs,
shower drains, sinks, washing machines, and dishwashers. Greywater often accounts for 60% of the
outflow produced in homes.
By designing plumbing systems to separate greywater from blackwater*, greywater can be recycled
for irrigation, toilets, and exterior washing, resulting in water conservation. The water
conservation potential and environmental benefit is significant. This is another sustainable
application of plastic piping technology.
* Blackwater is wastewater that has come into contact with human waste, and is not reused.
pipe and fitting systems are intended for reclaimed water systems
and may contain special color codes or markings on the products to indicate this application.
Piping products intended for reclaimed water are typically purple in color.
Be sure to consult your local regulations and the pipe and fitting manufacturer when selecting any
piping systems for reclaimed water systems. Codes can vary significantly from location to location.
CPVC, PEX, PE-RT and PP pipe and fitting systems intended for reclaimed water systems have
all the same advantages of installation, cost, and durability as when using these products
for potable hot-and cold-water plumbing systems.
Advantages of the piping materials for this application include:
Design Guide - Residential PEX Water Supply Plumbing Systems.
- Resistance to corrosion, tuberculation, deposits
- Chlorine and chloramine resistance (when used during the water treatment process)
- Flexibility to speed installation
- Lightweight, easy to transport
- Many sustainability benefits
- Noise and water hammer resistance
- No scrap value, avoiding jobsite theft
- Durability and toughness to survive jobsite installations
- No flame used for joining with many fitting and joining options