Design Guide - Residential PEX Water Supply Plumbing Systems
Also known as the PEX PLUMBING DESIGN GUIDE
The PEX Plumbing Design Guide provides the information and resources necessary to design and install crosslinked polyethylene (PEX) plumbing distribution systems in residential buildings. Much of the information can also be applied to the use of PEX plumbing in commercial buildings. It includes comprehensive design concepts and installation guidelines to assist with the proper use of PEX.
This document is targeted to meet the needs of plumbers, home builders, designers, and engineers. It will help new users to become familiar with PEX materials and design concepts, and will enable current users to optimize their PEX plumbing knowledge, which can improve plumbing system performance and minimize installed system costs. In addition, it will allow audiences from code inspectors to homeowners to become conversant with the applications, performance characteristics, and benefits of PEX water supply systems.
This document was developed as the result of a consensus process involving the Plastics Pipe Institute (PPI), the Plastic Pipe and Fittings Association (PPFA), and representatives from numerous PEX system manufacturers. It was prepared by the Home Innovation Research Labs (HIRL). The second edition was published in 2013.
The document can be downloaded in its entirety or chapter-by-chapter by clicking the links below: Download entire document: PEX Design Guide - 2nd Edition
- Chapter 1 – Introduction to the Guide
- Chapter 2 – Advantages of PEX Plumbing Systems
- Chapter 3 – Material Properties
- Chapter 4 – Code Acceptance
- Chapter 5 – Joining Methods
- Chapter 6 – Types of PEX Plumbing Systems
- Chapter 7 – System Design
- Chapter 8 – Performance Data
- Chapter 9 – Installation
- Chapter 10 – Testimonials
- Chapter 11 – Other PEX Applications
- Appendices (Performance Test Setup and Data, Installation Checklist, Resources)