corrugated pipe used on agricultural sites is most often used for culverts and field drainage.
A culvert is a pipe that allows water to flow through while providing access for equipment into adjacent parcels. Culverts are often short - usually just
wide enough for the equipment to drive over - but must withstand substantial traffic loads. Field drainage is an underground network of pipe used to
collect groundwater and/or surface water. Surface water can be collected by using vertical risers in low-lying areas that allow the water to flow
into the pipe below ground. Groundwater enters the pipe through perforations. Field drains typically discharge to a local ditch or creek. The type of
native soil and the crops grown on the site will determine the pipe diameter, spacing, and depth of burial for optimum crop growth.
Benefits of HDPE corrugated pipe in agricultural drainage applications
- Versatile installations - Agricultural drainage requirements vary widely but HDPE
corrugated pipe producers have the products to meet the needs. Pipe is available up to 60-inch (1500 mm) diameter, with a full line of fittings,
and a range of joint qualities. Other pipe variations include a smooth interior, perforations, and geotextiles. The pipe is lightweight and
flexible for easy handling and installation.
- Effective drainage - Groundwater flow into field drainage systems is typically limited by the soil's ability to give up groundwater; pipe perforations almost never limit system effectiveness. Field drainage is normally installed with native soil backfill but a granular backfill will improve the drainage response and structural support.
- Withstands vehicles in minimum cover applications - Larger farming operations may use semi trucks and other heavy equipment. When backfilled correctly with a compacted granular material, 48-inch (1200 mm) and smaller require a minimum of 1 ft (0.3 m) of cover; larger diameters require 2 ft (0.6 m) of cover.
- TN-37 Standard Practice for Installation of Annular Corrugated Profile Wall Polyethylene Pipe for Agricultural Drainage or Water Table Control - Unavailable, currently under review. Contact PPI staff with questions.
- TR 42 Agriculture and Drainage - Unavailable; under review for withdrawal. Contact PPI Staff with questions.