PROPOSED policies and revisions to PPI HSB Programs
- PPI HSB TR Policy Course: Thank you to the 15 attendees of the 3rd PPI HSB TR Policy Course. To accommodate feedback,
redesigned of the course is underway to include new sections. The redesigned course is scheduled for January 24th and 25th
(two full days) at PPI Headquarters (Crestview Towers, Irving, Texas). Registration will open in November.
- Vinyl Committee: The new name for the committee, formerly known as "PVC Committee", reflects the breadth of the work:
PVC, CPVC as well as ingredients and PVC resin listed in the PPI PVC Range Composition. This name also harmonizes with the other
two material committees: Polyolefin and Composite.
- NEW PPI HSB FAQ document: A new FAQ document is now available which helps address
questions on the history and available programs.
- GTI Cyclic Pressure Test: GTI completed the CPT study and the comprehensive analysis of the data. Discussions
and work, which includes GTI, are underway determining publication of the different aspects of the research.
- PEX Colorant Policy: A HSB TN (draft) details findings of the data review in support of applying the General
Colorant Policies to PEX compounds. Comments and negatives are addressed and the draft is submitted again for ballot.
Once completed and approved, the HSB TN will post to the PPI HSB Reports web page. A sincere thank you to the PPI BCD
members who confidentially submitted data for this PPI HSB review.
- PPI HSB Special Cases: In 2015, a preliminary review process was implemented for HSB Special Cases to assist
those presenting a request. This process requires a minimum of two reviews and possibly more. As such, the fee is increased
to $1000 per HSB Special Case Request. The Process Explained document and templates are available on the HSB Special Case page.
- 2017 EOY Renewals: End of Year (EOY) Renewals notices will be sent the 1st week in December. It is important
to respond by December 31st to ensure your listings remain active in their respective programs. For EOY 2016, the 30-day
effort involved 75 companies/~210 listings. Therefore, the maximum time is needed to address your specific EOY renewal.
*NOTE: Data requirements per the TR-4 5-Year Renewal Policy begins EOY 2018.
- Recognized Laboratory Policy (draft): The responses to the PPI HSB Request for Information (RFI) was
reviewed and discussed by the Task Group (TG). The policy is redrafted to reflect feedback comprising various
regions were listing owners are based, harmonizes with ISO 17000 quality series (where possible) and differentiates
between commercial labs, certifying bodies and "in-house" labs. The new draft is prepared for ballot.
- PEX Initial Listing Requirements (draft): A new section is drafted and prepared for ballot. This
section provides additional guidance on applicable PPI TR-3 sections to list solid wall PEX compounds, PEX
structures and obtaining Dependent Listings.
- Polypropylene Policy (draft): Initial discussions are concluded on the proposed listing policy
for polypropylene. As such, this proposed policy is being prepared for ballot.
- Liquid Dispersed Colorant Packages (proposed): A new concept is proposed - to include liquid
dispersed colorant packages in the PPI PVC Range Composition (as a new table). Initial discussions with a
few manufacturers are positive. As such, a PPI HSB/ Joint Industry TG is formed to continue the discussion.
- Wax Technologies (proposed): A new concept is proposed - to expand the PPI PVC Range Composition to comprise
"newer technology" for waxes demonstrated to work in sustained pressure pipe applications (as a new table). Initial
discussions with a few manufacturers are positives. As such, a PPI HSB/ Joint Industry TG is formed to continue the discussion.
- Harmonization of PPI TR-2 into PPI TR-3: Comments and negatives are being addressed in preparation
of a new ballot. This comprehensive project incorporates all PPI TR-2 policies into PPI TR-3 Part E. The
proposed new structure is as follows: Part E.1: PVC Fixed Compositions; Part E.2 PPI PVC Range Composition.
The intent is to ease the readability of these specific policies and use PPI TR-2 solely for listings as is
done with PPI TR-4.
NOTE: For the below approved new and revised policies, direct comments to Sarah Patterson
using the template
. Comments will be accepted through close of business (COB) Friday, October 6, 2017
- PPI TR-4 5-Year Renewal Policy: The policy is updated to explicitly state validation as a requirement for PE compounds
holding an HDB listing. The PPI TR-3/2017a version is posted to the PPI web page. Also, if your company has not proposed
product families, perhaps schedule time with the PPI HSB Chairman as data is required for 2018 EOY renewals.
- NEW Composite Definitions (will post in PPI TR-3/2018 version): To reflect the breadth of plastic pipe composite
structures in the industry, new definitions are approved in the PPI HSB Program. The three Composite sub-groups
include 1. Helically Wrapped Reinforced Thermoplastic Pipe (RTP); 2. Dispersed Reinforcement and 3. Multilayer
(non-helically wrapped). Definitions are harmonized to API 15S, where possible. The structure of existing and
proposed policies will harmonize to these definitions in the new proposed Part K.
*Efforts to harmonize and clarify definitions throughout TR-2, TR-3 and TR-4 is underway.
- PPI TR-3 Part G PEX Specific Policy (will post in PPI TR-3/2018 version): Clarification is provided
on the material designation and UV resistance.
- PPI TR-3 Part E.4.3 Substitution of PVC Resin in Fixed Compositions (will post in PPI TR-3/2018 version):
The revision replaces the "mini" regression with an E-2 as defined in PPI TR-3/2017a Part A. This harmonizes
with other policies in PPI TR-3 and PPI TR-2.