POWER & COMMUNICATIONS
Power & Communications Division MissionTo expand knowledge of the uses and benefits of HDPE conduit for Power and Communications applications.
High-density polyethylene (HDPE) conduit is the preferred material to house and protect electrical power and telecommunications cables within. It offers unmatched corrosion and chemical resistance, is flexible and durable, and is available in long coil lengths to reduce joints and installation time. HDPE conduit is available in a variety of sizes, colors, dimensions and lengths. HDPE is also used for cable-in-conduit conductors.
Typical applications include Power Utilities, Telecommunications, CATV, SCADA, FTTH, ITS, highway lighting, and other underground utilities. Premise (Riser and Plenum) conduit has specific characteristics and flame retardant ratings for use as nonmetallic raceways in buildings.
HDPE conduit is installed using methods such as Horizontal Directional Drilling (HDD), plowing and laying in open trenches.
HDPE conduit is the sustainable choice.
PPI's Power & Communications Division (PCD) collaborates with standards development organizations (SDOs) that set standards for manufacturing practices, quality control, product-testing and installation methods. PCD also educates designers, installers, users and government officials about HDPE conduit; establishes a forum for problem solving and new ideas; and maintains liaison with industry, educational and government agencies.
Please visit other PCD webpages to learn more about HDPE conduit materials, benefits, applications, installation types, design and installation.
- AASHTO R-63-13 (2017) Standard Practice for Solid Wall High-Density Polyethylene (HDPE) Conduit for Non-Pressure Applications Used for the Protection of Power and Telecommunications
- ASTM D3485 "Standard Specification for Coilable High Density Polyethylene (HDPE) Cable in Conduit (CIC)"
- ASTM F2160 "Standard Specification for Solid Wall High Density Polyethylene (HDPE) Conduit Based on Controlled Outside Diameter"
- ASTM F2176 "Standard Specification for Mechanical Couplings Used on Polyethylene Conduit, Duct and Innerduct"
- NEMA TCB 4 "Guidelines for the Selection and Installation of Smooth-Wall Coilable High-Density Polyethylene (HDPE) Conduit"
- NEMA TC 7 "Smooth-Wall Coilable Electrical Polyethylene Conduit"
- UL651A "Schedule 40 and 80 High Density Polyethylene (HDPE) Conduit"
- UL1990 "Standard for Nonmetallic Underground Conduit with Conductors"